Monday, October 22, 2007

Please, Mr. Officer...

Today started out with Judy, Susan and Ally all under the weather. So, the rest of us packed up and headed to Beaufort. On the way I got pulled over. I was speeding, however, I was also being passed by people and was going at or under the flow of traffic. When even my mom and Donna feel I was wronged, I'm pretty sure I was. But, I got a ticket nonetheless. Though it was somewhat tempting to beg and cry, I instead tried to seem like a sane adult and just take the ticket. Of course I was in a rather sour mood for the rest of our little road trip. Beaufort was a cute enough town, I suppose, but we went on a 2-hour walking tour which may have been asking a bit much of Rowan. She was amazingly well behaved as long as I continually produced snacks for her to eat. We saw lots of old mansions and heard about the history of the town. We stopped at a couple of shops, let the kids play for a bit at the playground and headed back. It was a long morning, but it was good for all of us to be out of the house so the sick ones could get a little rest--and we could stay away from the germs for a while.

Once home, the girls took naps and then we took Rowan to the beach. She, of course, had a blast as usual, and I'm dreading the return home even more than I was before! Today she was following two teenage boys around. They sat on the sand, tossing handfuls of sand at their feet and she stood next to them picking up sand and throwing it...always a good beach activity. Then some sort of exercise class made it's way down the beach and stopped near us to do some exercises. Rowan stood near their group doing a little dance. My mom and I got such a kick out of her. She also thought it would be fun to slither like a snake through the sand and then lay down on her back and bury her belly with sand. Where does she come up with this?

I do think, from now on, our perfect vacation will be a beach vacation. And I'm so glad I insisted on having an ocean front place with a pool. We could easily never leave our complex. If we ever have an extremely warm weekend in the forecast, we should just pack up and head to the beach. Rowan is completely in her element and we are loving every minute of this! With the exception, of course, of that ticket...

No comments: