Monday, March 31, 2008

A New Medical Malady

Here we go again. It seems as though I'm just predestined to weird medical issues with no known cause and, often times, no known cure. In the past, these have consisted of things like Bell's Palsy, psoriasis, allergies to ibuprofen and Vicodin and possibly an "allergy to pregnancy" according to my OB. This weekend, yet another popped up. What I had thought was a swollen lymph node began growing and getting so sore I could barely lift my arm. So, on Saturday I couldn't take it anymore and went to Urgent Care. My first Saturday night absoltely alone and that's how I got to spend it! It turns out I had an enormous abscess which needed to be lanced and drained (lovely, I know. For your viewing pleasure, I am omitting any photos in this entry). After this painful process, they had to insert a drain in my arm and I had to go fill presciptions for pain medicine and antibiotics. And this morning I woke up with a rash all over my neck, throat and upper arms. So, it was off to the doctor again. After taking a look at my arm (really, let's be honest here, it was in my armpit, not just my arm), the nurse practioner said "Keep an eye on this. There's a chance this might be MRSA. I don't think it is, but make sure you take your antibiotics." MRSA??? It would be just like me to contract MRSA somehow even though I've practically quarantined my family this winter to avoid all illnesses. I'm sure she saw the fear in my eyes and she let me know that she really doesn't think it's MRSA and that some people are just susceptible to this sort of thing and that my post-pregnancy hormones might be to blame. Oh, and no deodorant for at least 2 weeks. I hope I don't smell too much like the Cosmopolitan fraternity circa 1998.

In the meantime, we leave tomorrow for Charlotte. I have to do laundry, clean so the house is livable for our dog/house sitter and pack, pack, pack! But, really, I just want to take a nap as Tate was up 4 times last night. 4! Of course he's been sleeping great all day! I am so excited to go back home, see our friends, enjoy what I hope will be lovely spring weather and take my little social butterfly Rowan to all of her playdates where she'll play and I'll show off little Tate. I'm a bit less excited for the flight with 2 children, 2 carseats and other gear to haul around the airport in GR, then in Chicago for our layover, then finally in Charlotte just after midnight. Should be something to blog about!

No comments: