Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Art of Escape

Though Rowan has known how to open doors for a while now, she must have just realized that when she is in bed and not sleeping, she can actually get out of bed without my help and walk right out of her door. Here's how I found this out. Yesterday, both of my children were miraculously sleeping at the same time. I took advantage of the situation and mowed the lawn, then took a shower. When I got out of the shower, there was Rowan, just standing there saying "Mommy take shower!" We went back to her room and I noticed she had also been in Tate's room (how he slept I have no idea) and had been wandering around the upstairs.

Today friends came over to go to the beach. I was excited to have a tired child and a nice long nap, but Rowan immediately came out of her room and downstairs. Over and over. Time outs were unsuccessful to say the least. She was so proud of herself. She said "Mommy, I'm just not really very tired." So, no nap. Tonight after the kids were in bed, I ran to Target to buy some doorknob covers and they were all out! All out? Is this a random summer activity that all children are doing? There were clearly 3 racks for doorknob covers, but none were there! So, Lindsey gave me the idea to put a gate outside Rowan's door so at least she can't get out of her room. Knowing Rowan, though, she will find a way...

No comments: