Friday, November 14, 2008

Imaginary Friends

When I was little, I heard that it was very normal for children to have imaginary friends. Not wanting to be abnormal, I decided to make up my very own imaginary friend. His name was Cubby and he was a bear. Every once in a while I'd remember I was supposed to have this imaginary friend and I'd make it a point to have conversations with Cubby for my family to hear. In all reality, though, I didn't have an imaginary friend. I really couldn't fathom that kids actually have these imaginary friends. I tried, I really did, but it just wasn't my style.

Rowan, however, is one of these very "normal" children with imaginary friends. She has lots of them and they go everywhere with her. Her favorite is a little girl named Emma. Her next two favorites are Baby and Max. Today she busted out with Howie's #1 through 4 as well as "The 6-o'clock man". Every day Rowan wakes up and Emma is there. Emma gets dressed with Rowan, eats with Rowan, gets into trouble with Rowan. Any time Rowan does something deserving of a time-out, she immediately lets me know Emma did it. Jumping on the bed during nap? Emma. Pushing Tate over? Emma. Painting with poop? Emma. Emma also accompanies us everywhere we go. Emma needs to be strapped into a high chair, pushed in a swing, given bedtime kisses. I told Rowan she can do all of those things for Emma, but I am only worried about Rowan, since Rowan is my daughter. Rowan let me know that Emma is my daughter, too.

We went to visit Grandma Jackie for two days this week since Lance was out of town. It was so great to have Grandma play with Rowan while I played with Tate. I feel like it was one of the few times I've had to just play with Tate and not have hundreds of other things to do. Rowan was having a blast with Grandma, there was no dinner to be made, no laundry to do. Just Tate and me playing. He was so much fun. Pulling up on everything, letting go for a few seconds and standing on his own. Laughing, cuddling, just being such a sweet and happy little guy.

No comments: