Sunday, January 13, 2008

It's a Boy!!!

No, not our baby (though that's possible). Nathan Talmage (Eric and Thy's new little guy) was born on Monday, January 7. He was 7 pounds, 14 ounces and is doing great. The parents are shocked at how tired they can be and they called my mom to come stay for a week and help out a bit. We'll make our way over to meet our new nephew sometime soon. Rowan is very excited about "Baby Nay".

In the meantime we have been trying to get settled here in Holland. Lots of moving furniture around, setting up a playroom, getting used to colder weather and even locking ourselves out of the house (well, that was Lance, not me). It's definitely an adjustment and I'm having lots of up and down moments, but I'm sure we'll settle in soon enough. I met my new OB, Dr. Mary Gootjes and I really like her. Now we just need to find a pediatrician. Rowan has been crying somewhat hysterically every night at bedtime saying "No night night, mommy". I think she's just trying to settle in as well. I'm not sure if we'll end up deciding to live in Holland as it seems so small compared to Charlotte. I'm thinking a little closer to Grand Rapids might be best for us.

Lance's job is going well. It's only been a week, but he enjoys his colleagues and is pretty excited about his job. He's just been doing lots of training and paperwork, so I'm not sure when it will be that he really gets a feel for what a typical day will look like. One funny thing is that most of his co-workers eat lunch at the Kletz every day (just downstairs from his office). I most remember the Kletz for the famous "side of meat" that was on the menu (note there was no mention of what meat this might be) and the incident when Esperanza once stuck her finger in some pie to tell Andrea and me what kind it was. Then she wrapped it right back up and put it on the display. The Kletz is also the place where I developed a bit of a crush on Lance. He often went there with Chris Klein and would feed him lunch which I thought was too sweet. Needless to say, the food is much better and Rowan and I went to visit Lance and work and we all ate at the Kletz. I felt very, very old eating with my toddler while sporting a huge, pregnant belly.

Yesterday was a much needed break from reality for me. In honor of Susan's 30th birthday next week, we went for a spa day at Design 1 in Grand Rapids. We spent the day having massages, facials, pedicures and haircuts. And, of course, talking and talking. I feel so much better after a pretty long week. It's great to be reminded how wonderful it will be to have great friends nearby. Lance watched Rowan all day and I came home just in time to play for about 20 minutes before putting her to bed. I haven't had a day off since Girls' Weekend last summer. And since Sprout will be here in 6 weeks, I can't imagine I'll have many more for quite some time!

No comments: