Saturday, May 19, 2012

Soccer

I think Lance and I always imagined our kids would play soccer.  Not that they'd necessarily be good players, but that with Lance's soccer background and my enjoyment (though not particularly strong skill) of the sport, it might be something have a bit of a natural affinity for.

Rowan decided to play soccer this year--spring and fall--and Lance was her coach.  To say the season was rough might be a bit too kind.  They never won.  In fact, I think they were only close to winning once.  While we don't keep official score, I'd imagine today's was somewhere in the ballpark of 0-20.  Last week the other team was kind enough to make sure we knew the score.  0-18.  (I wanted to tell the coach since the girls' soccer skills were clearly well-honed, it might do him some good to spend a practice on sportsmanship.  Alas, I kept my mouth closed).  Lance was frustrated.  Rowan was a pretty good sport.  And became quite a good loser--not too upset about it (possibly because she was thrilled at the prospect of an after-game snack), which I think is a life-lesson everyone needs to learn.  So might as well get that out of the way early.

Regardless of the less-than-stellar record, The Silver Bullets had fun, got some exercise and met new friends, which is really what it should be about for 5 and 6-year olds.

 During the last game.  Note the amazing skill exhibited by Rowan here.
 Post-game high-fives
Post-game snacks

No comments: