Sunday, August 16, 2009

When She Grows Up

The other day, after seeing the doctor yet again, Lance and I were talking to Rowan about what she'd like to be when she grows up. She usually sees a male doctor, but for the lovely job of having an abscess drained, he actually scheduled her an appointment with my OB, who is female. Rowan was very excited about having a girl doctor. And, I must admit, Dr. Gootjes was amazing with Rowan. A few stickers and suckers and that abscess was poked and drained without sedation! Lance said "Rowan, would you like to be a doctor when you grow up?" Rowan looked at Lance and said "No." "Oh," said Lance, "don't you think it would be nice to help people feel better when they're sick?" "No, Daddy," said Rowan, "I'm going to be the president when I grow up."

At three, Rowan has no fear of failure, no concept of strengths and weaknesses, no reason to believe that she might not be president one day. And I love that about her. I hope that she'll stay like this forever, always full of confidence, sure of herself, sure of her future. Because she really could be president one day. Or a teacher, a doctor, a ballerina...

No comments: